Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Awareness: Autism, Epilepsy, Seizures


The world now lights it up blue for autism awareness.
Purple day and the color purple are associated with epilepsy awareness.
It is time awareness is generated about how often autism and epilepsy occur together.

April is Autism Awareness month in the USA and Canadians have started following suit in April even though October was historically Autism Awareness month here.  Regardless of the month very few autism awareness events actually generate awareness of the real challenges that often accompany autism disorders.  Autism awareness events are generally aimed at helping young autistic children and their families have some fun ...  an important goal which should be continued.  Unfortunately though beyond the worthy goal of generating event based happiness almost no public knowledge of the serious challenges of autism including related conditions is generated. Epilepsy is one such autism related reality that is ignored in almost all autism awareness events. 

This is not to suggest that autism equals epilepsy or vice versa but studies do indicate a signficant statistical tie between the two.  A recent study Quantification of Risks of Seizures in Autism has examined this statistical relationship and concluded: 

Rates of epilepsy in children with autism are vastly increased in a wide variety of seizure types, known to have different etiologies, genetic and otherwise.

My son Conor received an autism diagnosis the day after his 2nd birthday.  It was only years later that I became aware of any connection between autism and epileptic seizures.  I noticed what I thought were absence seizures where he would stare off into the distance sometimes with his eyelids closed and brought them to the attention of his pediatrician at the time who advised that my description of thse events did indicate they were probably seizures but in the absense of the falling or collapsing behaviors did not recommend medication.  A couple of years later however Conor experienced the first of what would become periodoic grand mal or tonic clonic seizures with convulsions. falling, lost of consciousness. 

The serious possibility of epileptic seizures in children with autism disorders is some autism awareness that, in my humble opinion, should be generated for the public and particularly for parents of autistic children. 

2 comments:

  1. J Child Neurol. 2015 Dec;30(14):1963-71. doi: 10.1177/0883073815601501. Epub 2015 Sep 14.

    Autism Spectrum Disorder and Epilepsy: Two Sides of the Same Coin?

    Jeste SS1, Tuchman R2.
    Author information

    Abstract

    Autism spectrum disorders and epilepsy commonly co-occur. In this review, we consider some unresolved questions regarding the temporal relationship, causal mechanisms, and clinical stratification of this comorbidity, highlighting throughout the interplay between autism spectrum disorder, epilepsy, and intellectual disability. We present data on the clinical characterization of children with autism spectrum disorder and epilepsy, discussing distinctive phenotypes in children with this comorbidity. Although some distinctive clinical features emerge, this comorbidity also informs convergent pathways in genetic variants that cause synaptic dysfunction. We then move beyond diagnostic categorization and consider the extent to which electrophysiology as a quantitative biomarker may help guide efforts in clinical stratification and outcome prediction. Epilepsy, and atypical electrophysiological patterns, in autism spectrum disorder may inform the definition of biologically meaningful subgroups within the spectrum that, in turn, can shed light on potential targets for intervention.
    © The Author(s) 2015.
    KEYWORDS:
    autism spectrum disorder; biomarkers; electroencephalography; epilepsy; intellectual disability
    PMID: 26374786 [PubMed - in process] PMCID: PMC4648708 [Available on 2016-12-01]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born epileptic, but I am now free and cured with Dr Itua Herbal Made Medicine. I was seventeen and sitting at my computer when I fell out of my chair. Only thing I remember is waking up with the worse headache I had ever had in my life. I had never taken medication and I hated swallowing pills but I had to start. I switched between all kinds of medication because I didn't take them like I was supposed to. One day I had just finished running errands and was at my sisters house when I fell to the floor again. I woke up with a bad headache and my 2 year old Niece leaning over my leg asking me if I was OK. By then I had just started college and was one the verge of losing my license. My school is an hour away from where I live so I really got set back because I wasn't allowed to drive until I got my seizures under control. I would love to know how others have handles their epilepsy! So My sister friends Emma Told my sister about a herbal Doctor who reside in west Africa(Nigeria) Because Emma is from Africa as well, My sister told me about it then we decided to give a try. My sister contacted him also tell him about my autism too.he assures my sister that his herbal medicine will cure my epilepsy and my autism, I paid for the herbal medicine then he delivered to Charleston Post office I was called to pick it up which i quickly did, I drank it for two weeks as prescribed happily I went for diagnose and find out my Epilepsy and Autism is gone and today making it 9 Months and I'm now free from Autism, Seizure and Epilepsy, I will continue to share Dr Itua Natural Herbal Medicine works. I will recommend Dr Itua to anyone who suffering from,,,AUTISM, EPILEPSY, SEIZURE, COLD SORE, HERPES, HIV/AIDS.Shingles,Genitals Herpes,Dr Itua Contact Information..... Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com.... WhatsApp Number....+2348149277967. Live Happily Again With Dr Itua Herbal Made Medicine.

    ReplyDelete