Tuesday, December 25, 2018

An Autism Dad's Christmas ReGift for PM Justin Trudeau





 Dear Prime Minister Justin Trudeau:

I am pleased to ReGift to you this Christmas Day a gift previously provided to individuals with autism disorders and their families by the South Surrey-White Rock Liberal party, the Medicare Coverage of Autism Treatment Resolution E-03,  which was passed overwhelmingly at the Winnipeg 2016 Liberal Party National Convention.  This was truly a gift for many with serious autism learning challenges and the families who care for them. Or it would have been if it had been acted on.  Unfortunately it appears no one in the National Liberal Party thought to bring it to your attention since no action has been taken to enact the resolution into law.  I know you have much on your mind as PM and you must have left your copy of Resolution E-03 sitting unread in one of your many files.

I had hoped to bring it to your attention when you visited Fredericton. I had stood in line for over an hour and hoped to bring the resolution to your attention and was pleased when one of the Liberal party designated microphone handlers passed me a mike. However for reasons unknown to me you waved it off  just as they handed the mike to me denying me the opportunity to speak and instead you pointed to a gentleman with a prepared speech who read his script for you.

I also wanted to bring to your attention that  prominent Liberal MP Bob Rae had wholeheartedly endorsed the Medicare Coverage for Treatment of Autism resolution which, as I said, passed with overwhelming support in Winnipeg but has been ignored by you. I know Mr. Rae was knowledgeable on autism issues having met him at a kitchen party event at the home of the late Fredericton MP Andy Scott and a second time at Mr. Rae's Toronto offices with a team from Medicare for Autism NOW! I don't expect you to listen to me, a humble father of a son with autism, but perhaps you could speak to Mr. Rae about autism and he might be able to help you understand the importance of  medicare coverage for treatment of autism. 





This gift of the South Surrey-White Rock Resolution E-03 I would now like to Re-Gift to you Prime Minister Trudeau along with Merry Christmas holiday wishes for you and your family.

Harold Doherty
Fredericton NB

No comments:

Post a Comment