Wednesday, May 13, 2020

NEVER ASSUME !



NEVER ASSUME!


NEVER ASSUME. This morning I heard a hard coughing noise from Conor who was having breakfast in the next room and watching a movie on tv. Alarm bells went off in my mind and I could hear the words NEVER ASSUME as I jumped up to check on him. He was OK and Dad fixed the coughing problem with a glass of cold water.

 I never assume anything anymore after Conor suffered gran mal seizures but I could also literally see the face of my former boss the late J. Gordon Petrie and hear him speaking the words NEVER ASSUME. I was working with his law firm in the mid 80's. Shortly after I started he assigned me a file to look at and I made an assumption about one aspect of the file. Gordon spoke with me calmly but firmly in a 1 on 1 meeting that evening and gave me a look only Gordon could do and said ... NEVER ASSUME. I will never forget those words and they come in handy in all aspects of life especially providing care for Conor with his complex autism, limited speech and epilepsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment